If you have been injured on a friend’s property due to negligence, you may be wondering if you will have to take legal action against them. If you have found yourself in this uncomfortable situation, it is important that you retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who will walk you through the premises liability claims process. Continue reading to discover the steps you should take following an accident to set yourself up for a successful claim. If you have any further questions regarding this process, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced firm today. We would be happy to help.
Do I have to sue my friend if I am hurt on their property?
Thankfully, you will not have to take legal action against your friend directly if you have sustained injuries on their property, in most cases. You will instead sue their insurance company. This will reduce any financial burden aimed at your friend.
What should I do after being injured in an accident?
If you have been injured on a friend’s property due to unsafe conditions, you must have a plan. Take the following steps to set yourself up for a successful premises liability claim:
- Alert the authorities. The police will conduct a police report to document your accident. They will also bring medical attention to the scene.
- While you wait for the ambulance to arrive, you might want to take photos of the scene as well as your injuries.
- Seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
- Collect all medical documents that relate to your injuries. These documents should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you deserve.
What is the statute of limitations for a premises liability claim in Connecticut?
The statute of limitations is a time period put into place that you must file your claim within, in order to avoid being barred from suing. The statute of limitations for premises liability claims is generally two years in Connecticut. To get started with the claims filing process as soon as possible, reach out to our experienced personal injury attorney who will work to recover the compensation you deserve. You do not need to go through this process alone. We are here to help.
Contact our Firm
Marc N. Needelman is an experienced attorney working throughout the state of Connecticut. If you need an attorney who is ready to fight for the financial compensation you deserve, please do not hesitate to contact us to set up a free initial consultation. Our firm deals with matters relating to real estate, personal injury, criminal defense, estate planning, and more.