Hartford County Juvenile Crime Defense Attorney

Juvenile Crimes

Juvenile Crime Attorney in Bloomfield & Hartford, CT

In the state of Connecticut, a child can be detained or arrested if they commit a crime. Children make mistakes like anyone else. When a child commits a crime, they often do not think about the implications. The parent or guardian has to consider the various penalties that their child faces. The state defines a juvenile as a person under the age of 18 for non-violent crimes. Even if a juvenile is 18 at the time of the court appearance, they would be tried as a juvenile unless their crime was so egregious that they are waived up to an adult trial. If your child is arrested for a crime, you will need experienced legal support to fight the charges and protect the juvenile’s future. For over 35 years, The Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman has proudly represented clients throughout the state of Connecticut when they have been charged with a crime. Contact The Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman today for strong legal representation when it matters most.

After a juvenile arrest

Connecticut law enforcement has the discretion to act against the child as they deem fit. In some cases, a police officer will issue a warning and release, confer with parents, make a referral to a community organization or formal diversion service or make an arrest. When an arrest is made, law enforcement will follow formal procedures, including issuing a summons, preparing an arrest report detailing the arrest signed by the parents to ensure they appear in court. In some cases, the child is considered a danger to society or themselves. If the child is issued a Serious Juvenile Offense (SJO), they could be detained in a juvenile detention center.

Transfer to adult court

There are two ways in which a child can be transferred to adult court in Connecticut. One way is based on the crime committed. If a child is as young as 14 years of age and was charged with a Class A or B felony, they will automatically be transferred to adult court and face adult charges. The second way a child can be transferred is through a discretionary transfer in which a juvenile charged with a Class C or D felony or an unclassified felony could be subject to an adult trial if the court believes it is necessary. The adult court judge has the discretion to reverse the adult transfer for those waived up to adult court because of certain Class A sexual assaults charges, Class B felonies and discretionary transfers.

Contact our experienced juvenile defense law firm

If your child is facing criminal charges and faces the juvenile justice system or an adult court, you need effective legal services to protect the future of your family. Our firm has been fighting for the rights of juvenile clients for over 35 years. We will assess your child’s case, explore all legal defenses, and fight any transfer to adult court. If you need our help, contact The Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman for a consultation today.

Read Our Latest Criminal Defense Blogs