A DUI charge needs to be taken seriously. Not only are the punishments for a conviction quite harsh, but one can stay on your record and follow you around for life. There are some smart ways to defend yourself in a DUI case though. Figuring out the most effective strategy can be difficult, but our Hartford County DUI attorneys are ready to help you.
How Can I Defend Myself From a DUI Charge?
There are a few strategies that our attorneys can employ when defending you from a DUI charge and trying to protect you from the worst consequences. Your attorney can say that:
- There was no probable cause for the stop
- The breathalyzer was poorly calibrated
- A medical condition made the police wrongfully think that you were impaired
- The arresting officer did not properly carry out the sobriety test
- There was no proof that you were driving a vehicle
- Alcohol left over in your mouth threw off the breathalyzer test and caused a higher BAC reading
- You had good reason to believe that you were not impaired
When a lawyer from our firm defends you, the goal is to cast reasonable doubt on the prosecution’s case. If we can make people question the stop, the sobriety test, and other evidence, it can make it more difficult for the state to get a conviction.
What Are the Consequences of Getting a DUI Charge?
Even a first-offense DUI can result in severe punishments. Drivers who are convicted can end up facing:
- Fines of up to $1,000
- A 45-day license suspension
- The mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device
- Mandatory participation in an alcohol education and treatment program
- Up to 100 hours of community service
- A jail sentence of up to six months
The punishments can be even worse if this is not your first offense or if you have a commercial driver’s license. You could also face personal and professional consequences. If you have a professional license, the state board in charge of your field could decide to punish you. If you apply for a job in the future, a DUI conviction can appear on your background check. This is why you need to take these charges seriously and why you should hire a defense lawyer.
Do I Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
We recommend hiring an attorney after you have been charged with a DUI. This is a serious charge with serious consequences. We have already talked about the penalties you could be facing if convicted. A criminal defense lawyer can help you fight back against these charges and find the best way to defend yourself against them.
Contact Our Law Firm Today
If you want to do everything that you can to protect your rights, contact the Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman. We can schedule a consultation and our legal team will begin exploring the best possible defensive strategies right away.