Can I Get a DUI Expunged from My Record?

A DUI charge can carry heavy penalties, so it is wise to consult our Hartford County DUI attorneys when you are forming your defense. If you have already been convicted of a DUI, you may be wondering if there is a way to get this blemish erased from your record. The state of Connecticut actually does offer a way to apply for a pardon that can wipe your record clean. One of our lawyers can help you navigate this process.

How Long Can a DUI Charge Stay on My Record?

Under most circumstances, a DUI charge will stay on your driving record for 10 years. You cannot really do anything about that aside from letting the time pass by. When it comes to your criminal record, that charge will stay on there forever. The only way to remove it is by applying for a pardon.

How Can a DUI Charge Affect Me In the Future?

A DUI charge can obviously result in some harsh punishments, but it can also affect you in other ways. When it stays on your record, it can affect your ability to get a job. A potential employer can see this and assume that you are someone that cannot be relied on.

This charge can also affect how much you pay for insurance. You may see premiums rise astronomically, and this could be something that you are dealing with for years.

Of course, you could also end up getting pulled over for a DUI again and facing even more severe punishments. Having a DUI charge already on your record can mean that you will be paying even higher fines, spending more time in jail, and being subjected to other penalties like probation. You could even have your license revoked for two years or more.

Do I Need a Lawyer for the Pardon Process?

This is why you should explore the pardon process. There is a wait time, so you will have to spend some time with a DUI charge on your record. However, you will eventually be able to move forward with a clean slate.

To be eligible for an absolute pardon you must wait three years if your DUI was a misdemeanor. If your charge was a felony, the wait time is five years. You cannot have any other pending criminal charges or open cases in any state, and you cannot be currently on probation or parole.

Then you just need to complete an application and gather all required information, including a police report related to your original conviction and a letter from the Office of Adult Probation, if you were sentenced to probation at one point. This can be where a lawyer comes in handy. We can help you gather the necessary documents and apply for an absolute pardon.

Schedule Your Consultation

Whether you are facing a DUI charge or looking for a way to clean up your record, we can help. Contact the Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman and schedule your consultation. We would love to tell you more about how our criminal defense attorneys can be of assistance.

Read Our Latest Featured Blog