If you are harmed in a pedestrian accident, you need to take some steps to protect yourself and keep your legal options open. After you are injured you should:
- Contact law enforcement
- Get the information of the driver who caused the accident
- Get the contact information for any witnesses
- Take pictures of the accident scene
- Attend to your own medical needs as soon as possible
- Avoid taking the first settlement offer you receive
- Keep records of any costs stemming from your accident
Once you do as many of those things as possible, it could be time to think about pursuing compensation in a personal injury suit. Our pedestrian accident attorneys in Bloomfield & Hartford, CT may be able to help.
Can I Sue After a Pedestrian Accident?
If you believe that your accident only occurred due to the actions or negligence of another party, then it makes sense to pursue compensation. A pedestrian accident can be costly. Why should you have to spend so much money when the event was someone else’s fault?
You may receive an initial settlement offer from an insurance company, but we do not recommend taking it. These first offers are usually an attempt for an insurer to get away with spending as little money on an accident as possible. Instead, you should sue for damages with the help of an attorney. This can lead to a bigger settlement that can more adequately compensate you for:
- The cost of past and future medical care
- Lost wages
- A loss of earning potential
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of companionship, in wrongful death cases
If someone else caused you or your loved one harm, they need to be held accountable. A pedestrian accident lawyer can help.
How Can a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help Me?
You are not required to hire a lawyer when pursuing a personal injury suit, but having one on your side can be extremely helpful. Your pedestrian accident attorney can:
- Gather evidence
- Talk to witnesses
- Prepare you for testimony
- Communicate with other involved parties in the case on your behalf
- Calculate fair compensation and field settlement offers
A lawyer can also ensure that you do not miss out on your chance to pursue compensation due to the statute of limitations. In the state of Connecticut, you have just two years to file suit. Focus on your recovery and let us get the legal process started.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you are ready to fight for compensation, contact the Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman and receive your free case consultation. We would be happy to tell you more about your legal options and the next steps. Let us put our three decades of experience to work for you.