Due to their immense size and weight, trucks are the most dangerous vehicle on the road. It is because of this that those who operate these vehicles must do so carefully and with their undivided attention. This is because, if they do not, they can cause an accident that puts people in danger of sustaining a life-changing injury. Those who do suffer from injuries as a result of a truck accident can pursue legal action to recover compensation with the assistance of a Connecticut personal injury attorney.
What are Causes of Truck Accidents?
In Connecticut, a truck accident can be caused in a variety of ways, including the following:
- Poor judgement: An accident can happen if a driver is speeding, recklessly driving, changes lanes improperly, makes a dangerou turn, follows others too closely, and more.
- Distracted driving: When drivers do not give their full attention, they may not be able to prevent an accident by slowing down or stopping the vehicle in time.
- Impaired driving: Drivers who operate trucks under the influence, are drowsy, or suffer from a medical condition while driving can cause an accident.
- Vehicle malfunction: When a truck has a defective part and malfunctions on the road, it can cause an accident.
- Poor conditions: If a road is not maintained or there is poor weather, accidents can happen.
How do I Pursue Legal Action?
When a person sustains an injury in a truck accident, they can pursue legal action by filing a personal injury claim. During this time, the individual is required to prove the party in question was negligent. This can be done with evidence that shows their behavior directly caused the accident and injuries to occur. It is important to know that the truck driver may not necessarily be the negligent party. Sometimes, the accident is caused by a third-party. Evidence that can be helpful for a claim can include medical records, a police report from the accident, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, and more. If the injured party is successful in proving negligence, they may be able to receive compensation as coverage for the damages they incurred.
Contact our Firm
Marc N. Needelman is an experienced attorney working throughout the state of Connecticut. If you need an attorney who is ready to fight for the financial compensation you deserve, please do not hesitate to contact us to set up a free initial consultation. Our firm deals with matters relating to real estate, personal injury, criminal defense, estate planning, and more.