According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. This statistic may seem surprising, considering road traffic was down in 2020 due to the pandemic. With so many accidents occurring, it is important to know what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Connecticut.
How Do Car Accidents Occur?
Car accidents can occur for a number of different reasons. Some accidents are due to inclement weather, poor road conditions, or faulty car parts. But, the majority of accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Texting or talking on cell phones
- Failure to obey the rules of the road
- Failure to obey traffic signals or signs
- Failure to yield to pedestrians
- Failure to drive a reasonable distance apart
What do I do After a Car Accident Occurs?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are some important steps you should take:
- Contact the police. They can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene. It is important to collect evidence for your insurance company and your personal injury claim. You should take photos and videos of the damage to your car as well as any road or weather conditions that may have impacted the accident.
- Seek medical help. If you are involved in a car accident, you can become seriously injured. As a result, it is important to seek medical attention, even if you do not feel like you have been injured. In some cases, you may be injured without realizing or sustain an injury that does not cause symptoms till later on. Additionally, this will allow you to obtain evidence of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents/ bills.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Connecticut, contact our experienced firm today. We are here to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Firm
Marc N. Needelman is an experienced attorney working throughout the state of Connecticut. If you need an attorney who is ready to fight for the financial compensation you deserve, please do not hesitate to contact us to set up a free initial consultation. Our firm deals with matters relating to real estate, personal injury, criminal defense, estate planning, and more.