If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to receive compensation. When you are ready to take legal action, one of the first steps will be an initial consultation with your personal injury attorney. It may feel overwhelming to file a personal injury claim, especially if you are recovering from a serious accident. But, it is important to start the process early. Simply being prepared and knowing what to expect from the road ahead can make the process a lot easier. Read on to learn more about an initial consultation and how you can best prepare yourself.
How Long Do I Have To File a Claim?
If you are injured and you wish to pursue legal action, it is important that you do not wait too long because there is a deadline by which you must file. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Connecticut, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the injury. If you miss this deadline, you may lose your chance to receive compensation.
What Should I Bring?
The purpose of an initial consultation is to familiarize your attorney with your case. In order to do this, there are a few documents you should bring with you. These documents may include:
- Proof of injury
- This may include photos and videos from the accident, the contact information of any witnesses, etc.
- Written account of events
- Insurance information
- Police reports
- Medical statements detailing the origin and extent of your injuries
- Statement regarding how much work you missed as a result of your injury
- Receipts for any medical expenses you incurred
- A list of questions you would like to ask your attorney
What Will I Be Asked?
Your attorney will want to ask you some questions in order to learn more about your injury and your case. You should be prepared to answer the following questions:
- What is your official prognosis, according to your doctor?
- To what extent have your injuries impacted your everyday life?
- Have you ever filed a personal injury claim before?
- Have you given a statement to your insurance company?
- Have you had any correspondence with the other party or their insurance company?
If you have any questions regarding an initial consultation or a personal injury claim you wish to file, please reach out to our firm.
Contact Our Firm
Marc N. Needelman is an experienced attorney working throughout the state of Connecticut. If you need an attorney who is ready to fight for the financial compensation you deserve, please do not hesitate to contact us to set up a free initial consultation. Our firm deals with matters relating to real estate, personal injury, criminal defense, estate planning, and more.