Due to the fact that commercial trucks are the largest vehicles on the road, they are also the most dangerous. If they are not operated correctly or experience inclement weather, serious accidents can happen. For example, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), stated that winds over 25 miles per hour can impede a truck driver’s ability to navigate the vehicle safely. It is because of this that drivers need to know the risks their vehicle imposes so they can avoid an accident. Continue reading below to learn more.
What are Causes of Wind-Related Truck Accidents?
When strong winds are in the forecast, it can increase the chances of a truck accident taking place. This may be in the event of the following situations:
- High crosswinds: A strong gust of wind can cause a truck to sway or tip over on the road.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Cargo can shift and unevenly distribute the weight of a truck, making it difficult to control in high winds.
- Failure to take appropriate action for weather conditions: Truck drivers are required to check the weather so they know if they need to slow to a safe speed, pull over until conditions improve, plan an alternative route, etc.
What Types of Accidents are Caused by Strong Winds?
There are various types of truck accidents that can be caused due to high winds, such as:
- Rollover accidents: Wind can cause a driver to lose control and roll the vehicle over on its side.
- Underride accidents: Truck drivers who step on the brakes after being hit by wind can cause a closely following vehicle to crash and slide underneath the truck.
- Jackknife accidents: When a driver hits the brakes too hard, the truck can fold in on itself and form a 90-degree angle.
- Lost load accidents: Improperly loaded cargo can come loose and fall out of the truck onto the road.
What do I do if I’m Injured in a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents are often devastating and can cause detrimental injuries to the people who are involved. That is why victims can pursue legal action by filing a personal injury claim. During this time, they are required to prove negligence took place and directly caused the injuries they sustained. This can be done with evidence such as medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, etc. If successful, they may recover compensation as coverage for the damages stemming from the accident.
Contact our Firm
Marc N. Needelman is an experienced attorney working throughout the state of Connecticut. If you need an attorney who is ready to fight for the financial compensation you deserve, please do not hesitate to contact us to set up a free initial consultation. Our firm deals with matters relating to real estate, personal injury, criminal defense, estate planning, and more.